What makes the term “Latin American Music” problematic is that it is commonly used as an umbrella term for the dozens of musical styles and dances originating anywhere from Mexico to Argentina. These styles differ greatly from one another, each with their own history and influences, so to group all of these under one genre, and to imply that they are all simply sub-genres or variations of one general feel, is wildly inaccurate.

Latin American Music is music that comes from any region in Latin America, that is, any region south of the United States. Latin Music is defined as any music made by the descendants of Latin Americans that reside in the United States, I feel that this distinction that Dr. Munarriz makes is slightly inaccurate, as I find it strange that these descendants of Latin Americans must be living in the United States to make Latin Music. I believe it would be more correct to say “made outside of Latin America,” but that is based on gut-feeling and I am clearly less of an expert on the subject than Dr. Munarriz.

Ostinatos is any musical patterns that are repeated throughout a piece. Ostinatos  often form the foundation of many Caribbean and Latin American musical expressions, as a rhythmical phrase such as the Habanera pattern or the “three-two” clave pattern is played underneath the entire composition.

Two Latin American Expressions that fit nicely in the Habanero pattern are the Portuguese “Mani tostao” and the Spanish “Cafe con pan.” The accented second syllables of both “mani” and “cafe” align with the musical accents of the Habanero pattern.